Time study is a work measuring technique for recording the time of activity for a particular job or its part of disbursed under a specific condition and for analyzing the information so as to acquire the time necessary for an operator to hold out at a defined rate of performance. Time study may be a technique of direct observation. A trained observer watches the duty and records information because the job is being performed over a number of cycles.
Time study equipment:
For the Time Study or Work Study Obviously, need stopwatches. There are two types of Stopwatch are used for time study.
- Fly back
These watches may be used any of the following timescales
- Decimal minutes,
- Decimal hours
Selecting the job:
-The job in question is a new one, not antecedently allotted (new product, component, operation or set of activities)
-A modification in material or technique of working has been created and a new time commonplace is needed.
-A grievance has been received from an employee or worker’s representative concerning the time standard for an operation.
-A particular operation seems to be a “bottleneck” holding up ensuing operations and probably previous operations.
-Standard times are needed before a strategy is introduced.
-A piece of equipment seems to be idle for an excessive time or its output is low, and it so becomes necessary to analyze the tactic of its use.
-The job needs learning as a preliminary to marking a technique study, or to match the efficiency of two proposed strategies.
-The cost of a specific job seems to be evidenced by a praetor kind of analysis.
There is a variety of points to be discovered in relation to the approach doing by an employee.
Required Points Before time Study:
- Make certain the task has been method studied. Particularly wherever the quality time, is to be used for incentive purposes.
- In a company wherever time study has ne’er been used before, supervision and worker representatives should be told the explanations for the study programmed and given an insight into tie study procedure.
- Its smart policy to ask the supervisor or workers representatives to be studied. The employee should be a competent steady person with a median rate of operating.
- The employee should be told the explanations for the study. Why he has been elect and asked to work at his normal pace explaining any issues which will arise throughout the time the study is taken.
- Workers should be allowed much time to relax to new strategies.
- When creating the study the observer should take a grip wherever he will see the whole of the task being performed. This can be usually to the side of the operator, slightly to the rear and around half-dozen feet away. No try should be created to hold out timing from a concealed position, without the operator’s knowledge or with the watch within the pocket.
- The observer should take a snug standing position for the period of the study.
- Rating is a Rule used to assess the speed and “effectiveness” of an operator.
- Consider may take into account
- Speed of movement
- Effectiveness etc.
How accurate is rating?: Rating is the skill of the observer carrying out the rating exercise and the observer’s concept of the rate of working relative to a standard of 100%.
What is Elements: An element is a distinct part of a specified job selected for convenient of observation. Measurement and analysis.
Breaking down the job into elements:
- Elements should be simply known With definite beginnings and once established. They will be repeatedly recognized and purpose at which one component ends. Another begins is termed the breakpoint. Breakpoints should be set by the time and motion study. Time Study officer will divide the work cycle into components.
- All breakpoints are often recognized by a sound or by a modification of direction of a hand or arm.
- Elements should be as short as are often handily regular by a trained Observer, however, shouldn’t be less than 0.10 minutes and quite 0.50 minutes.
- Manual components should be separated from machine components for future use as synthetic information.
- Short components should be next to long components.
Reasons for breaking down the job into elements:
- Variations in speed, pace, and effort that an operator works are often more accurately recorded over short periods of your time. There may well be some elements of the work-cycle with the operator performs higher than others.
- The more clear-cut the item of work that is timed, separately; the additional pronto will an applicable fatigue allowance befell on for incorporation with the component.
- To make sure that productive work is separated type unproductive work.
- To change an in-depth job specification to be created.